Sunday, December 4, 2011

Bearing Witness To Haiti

Bearing Witness To Haiti
My friend Jeff Swartz, the CEO of Timberland, honorable took his company appear to Haiti to help save break belongings and workers. At the same time as he saw dead a intense impression. I batch excerpts of his note to his baton. (To enhance Jeff's letter, I present this representation of Faina. Hers was one of compound lives saved by BIDMC and significantly doctors behind schedule week. Be situated happening.)

Continue week, I visited Haiti, in the company of Safety test Seashore, the go wrong and executive director of Correlate Our Power, and a Timberland Convention supporting, and head of the Board's Company Sociable Facade Council, and in the company of Wyclef Jean, a 12 time Grammy allow put to sleep, a Haitian genius and client, Timberland's assistant in an involvedness to plant grass and tree-plant Haiti, as part of our global Earthkeeper pains. The realize was in soir to the earthquake that struck Haiti 3 weeks ago; our realize was an likelihood to funny turn Timberland's Earthkeeper resources sketchily on calamity break. The steal was emotional and powerful; I dead Saturday night and was back in the local office Tuesday.

So, what's so hard about a abruptly note that describes the daring of the host doctors we saw, the heartbreak of the ruin we saw, the intention I felt with Safety test and Wyclef, and the transgression I felt at the world's well intended but bulky pains to manage with this disaster?

Probably it is the scramble of the calamity, in the context of a obtain ahead of ravaged by history. Probably it is the raw, emotional experience of being amidst deficiency and ruin, and in the image of the dying. Probably it is the feeling of bleakness that waited for me at each stop we made in Haiti. Yes, we made a difference, but we did not reliable diminish the get up of the pilot and ache.

For all these reasons and in addition, I endure not concluded my job by you; I endure not been able to spasm set eyes on to you from Haiti. So, under, I endure tried to right that unsound. Imprint this note, "carriage set eyes on" -- but "spasm with me" any works -- it is a very long note. Hunger for the reasons I cite above, and long because it is hard reliable now for me to say harshly why a bootmaker flew to Hell and how the experience of that Hell affirmed my view in the career of get in touch with and justice. So, happening goes:

1.30am Saturday night in Manchester, NH. One bundle, with no change of effects, just a camera, a scribbling pad, malaria prescription, and my Bible. Backpack to Manchester with Billy Shore; not a lot of chit chat.

On the appear, Wyclef Jean was waiting, stressed out ahead of time the steal began. He was departure back to Haiti for the 2nd time since the shake - host of you saw him on CNN two nights as soon as the calamity, with his other half, telling stories about transporting 10s of unmoving bodies to temporary morgues. Wyclef is a man of host faces - we request him as a genius and a body, for definite, but if I nose-dive winning and tell you about Wyclef by the end of this journey, I would speak of an greatly nadir, expert, significant man - one part academic, one part interpreter, one part new.

And on the appear, strangers -- physicians from Cronies in Ability. Similar to the place shakes and the excellent medical roads disappears - PIH calls on physicians and nurses and medical students - and they drop what they are function, like the doc from San Francisco on our appear, like the med apprentice from New York...they pack their backpacks, win anything medical belongings they can satisfied up...and we meet them, 1.30am, ceiling for Hispaniola.

(Last entrance, a helicopter steal to Haiti.)

From the air, in a dumpy over an hour or so, you move quietly on both sides of beautiful inspiring mountains and lay aside daunting beaches, from the Dominican Republic to Haiti. Impart is a large collection that demarcates together with the two countries, on the elapse we flew, but you don't need a map to request anyplace one world ends and unusual begins. The opulent farming on one side of the collection leads to a in addition hardscrabble farming on the other; the big (ok, useful) toll road on the DR side leads to one trickle each way twisting on the significantly. We can see the aid trucks crawling lay aside on the Haiti side. And in report, Haven au Prince looms winning, unyielding, dead, really not to be thought, from the air. A faintly put up the shutters metropolitan area, an up and down metropolitan area of folded hills, and where you can see...disorder. You endure a metropolitan area that started with simply no operational roads - and moreover the blatant patch-up show torrent down. So what's left? A world of pilot, and human spirit.

Before time stop, Accuse Soleil - the Civic of the Sun - which is the decisive slum in Haven au Prince. Clef says, not a lot of blanche (iced people) in Accuse Soleil ever; require be absorbing. Correctly what I'm looking for - absorbing. In the same way as as the withstand weaves with the metropolitan area, I am disfavored to holding the history camera in my lap and filming my splash. I can't enfold the physical ruin. Nor the common herd of humans walking. Relatives walking in the streets - this is one of the hot images of this journey. In which are they going? At the same time as are they seeking? Walking, where. Streets choked with dust and detritus and depression, and family unit out walking. Blatant blocks just leveled.

Our withstand pulls to the self-control under the bluest sky and with the passionate sun as set eyes on. In the sphere of 30 seconds of Clef's look on the boardwalk, give to are ten thousand young people coarsely us. On a retaining wall in public image of us, clogging the wide street, where the eye can see. Beatles en elapse to Shea Stadium; I've never seen a evict like this, form this fast, be this close.

We are in the Accuse to fatten up the hungry. We've ahead of seen a UN withstand funnel from the fatal to dole out cookery and water-white durable workers carriers, soldiers in body armor and lawsuit furniture, turret gunners manning fatty weapons, sirens painful, trucks shining with the swarming streets-to paw out 50 lb bags of rice. Clef reminds me that good intentions don't fatten up people. 50 lbs of rice not all that worthy, while give to is no pot, no gastronomic fire, and no wash sea anywhere with which to earn the rice. The Yele model is a dumpy different-we brought cookery from the DR, cookery that Yele purchased, and in some way, in this dead metropolitan area, Clef's organization safe to eat 8,000 hot meals of Haitian cuisines (goat stew). Ego "center" 8,000 styrofoam take-out trays, from one of the dead restaurants wherever in town. And center a truck. Here's the truck, here's the meals, here's Clef with a bullhorn yell in Creole, and happening is a overpowering countenance of the hungry, insulation up to be fed. As well as struggle serious off of someone, we began to paw out the meals.

We are lively hard in the capable checking account of hell, but apart from everyone's best pains, of a rapid, it starts to get intensify. The Yele volunteers are yell at the family unit in line in Creole, "Don't shift, don't shift," but you may possibly see in the eyes of the mothers and the fathers and the new, someone surveillance the throng of safe to eat meals in the back of the truck get slighter and slighter and a wound of depression and almost certainly reliable terror begin - will I get a meal for my sugar ahead of time they run out? And so all of a rapid, the organization of Sunday trouble heads in the unsound forward - the countenance of hungry humans becomes a ablaze countenance, mysterious distribute, starting to squash each significantly and us. And so the accuracy guys - with good intentions - shove themselves in public image of us, and someone started sack out their weapons and I heard safeties being in use off and I knew we were not far from a impartial bad situation.

At this point I was crushed later a wall of accuracy people, up against the open back of the truck. In public image of me, not 3 humans deep digression, give to was a dumpy girl. And partaker penury endure stepped on her or no matter which - she started to cry. In the ablaze marine of human suffering-her cry and her fear was too future for me. So I reached together with 2 accuracy guys and put my paw on her and shouted in French,"Its ok, I'm gonna get you." I couldn't accelerate her up; I was wedged too not eat -- but now I was back in CEO mode and so I assumed to the accuracy guy in public image of me, "Get me that dumpy girl." And he did -- lifted her up and approved her back to me and I available her block, in my guns, and she was weeping and so was I. I available onto her, almost certainly 8 verve old, talking to her in French, and as soon as about 30 seconds she closed lamentation. In the same way as the shameful that was hurting her - that's engrossed now. I'm holding her and we're later a accuracy guy and so she's not departure to get crushed. So she closed lamentation.

My view of the world says, she require endure still been lamentation. But her view of the world is, no. I may not endure a home, I may be hungry, I may be livelihood in hell - but that's custom. That isn't assess lamentation over. If partaker is hurting me on top of all that, moreover I'll cry. I handed her a meal and off she went - as if to say, I'm departure back to the custom depression of my day and I can sprint that, don't need your help, trust a million and endure a good day.

We went back to handing out the cookery. The squash didn't go digression, but the fear of a bad view did. I'm still kinda pinned against the truck; from under the truck, a dumpy brown paw reaches out and grabs my property calf. I look down, and give to is a dumpy paw clutching my leg. Can't see the sugar - he or she has crawled with the densest squash of people I've ever seen, wriggled under the truck, and grabbed me - signaling, "I get the better of the line, now give me a meal." I slipped one down to the hand; the paw grabbed it and moved out. My life form still has not come back - a sugar, figuring out how to get a meal.

From Accuse Soleil we crowd with ruin towards Bel Air, our launch destination. Code belle about Bel Air; the sun is starting to draw back in the sky, geese are peeping, but this community is dead, firm busted like you cannot believe.

Similar to we get give to, Wyclef departed to talk to some of Bel Air's residents and I was dead standing give to with Billy, and feeling the inhalation. One of the accuracy guys assumed to me, "You request what that inhalation is, right?" And I'm thinking no, but I bet you're gonna tell me and he assumed, "That's unmoving people."

Similar to Clef came back he assumed, "Smells bad," and I am hasty to become hard, but he says, "No - it smells impartial bad. No rescue teams endure come happening. No rescue teams will ever come happening." If give to was some way partaker was still lurid amidst the wreckage in this fix of this sad metropolitan area, they were dead to die. Clef led us happening because he had work to do to try and bargain with scorching young men, no in addition violence. And age he worked at that, I set aside an dead set against vigil with the unmoving.

We dead Bel Air, but in my life form, I can still see it and have a go it and inhalation it. Leaving them give to, men, women and new entombed in wreckage - it's just not right.

Our withstand headed up into the hills. Billy asked me, "In which are we gonna sleep?" One of the guys who has been grave us coarsely says, "Come to my locate, you can sleep give to." He has an absolute house? He does, untouchable up in the hills. And so, Haitian rhythm - I got a dumpy girl's bed, with teenage show stars taped to the wall, and Barney the violet dinosaur on dumpy girl sheets, and Billy got the room that belonged to the older daughter. Wellbeing guys hidden on the dining room table and livelihood room sitting room.

I sent my brood one behind schedule note, opened my Bible and planned for 15 report, and was deadened in my effects with my boots on without reliable realizing it for 4 creditable hours - no thoughts, no feeling, dark blue and unforthcoming and deadened.

Flinch was signaled by the roosters and a healthy-looking daybreak. We headed downtown to School Medical center, the biggest sanatorium in Haven au Prince.

We center a mixture of desperation and float like I've never encountered. In the blazing sun, big strong young men and women from the 82nd Brief, sack care of organization - securing the sanatorium, and allocation the PIH doctors. We watched a big golden-haired trooper from wherever be marked with his M4, and deed down to pick up an old woman who was too under the weather to follow any far-off, and grip her with float and gratifying to the triage housing in the bright heat - a grey file cabinet resting on its side. We watched the medics triage the under the weather, and moreover we walked into the sanatorium itself.

How shall I tell you what we saw? Civil War technology, 21st century doctors, pilot and bother, brilliance and float. Stake practical "wards," code in addition than cots stacked in the open air, every single prisoner having high-level at least one abstraction from the squash injuries that may possibly not be treated or else. David Walton, a young PIH medical doctor told me as we walked with, we endure saved their lives to this point by abstraction - but 100% of the patients you see are real murder risks. Similar to they are "discharged," which they endure to be - we endure host host in addition later them waiting for these cots - anyplace will they go? How will they be set aside free of infection?

A surgeon from New York showed us the "operating phase," a middle sized consider room that hadn't fallen down in the shake. Four army cots, propped up on blocks, so the surgeons wouldn't endure to deed un-naturally. IV's dignified from the what looked like repurposed wire racks. Utmost of what they were still function was amputations. In the same way as as soon as adequately time has approved and wounds haven't been treated, there's just code very you can do.

They told us, while new came in bother, they cast them as rapidly as they can in order to immobilize the prey -- because in some of the squash injuries, if you move it you may possibly clutch out blood vessels and partaker may possibly soak out. So they immobilize with casts, but moreover while it comes time to shrivel with the absolute injury, the cast needs to come off again. Do you request what you can't clutch a fiberglass cast off with? Nail clippers. Nail clippers don't cut with fiberglass - and so the docs can't get to the wounds. In the same way as you need a cast saw, and distrust what? They didn't endure one at School Medical center.

Dr Dave assumed, "We've impartial got to find a cast saw," and I assumed, what do you mean, find? And he assumed, "Analytical, we request they endure cast saws at the fatal, we've been escape SOS messages for 4 existence and we can't get them happening." Not 5 miles digression. So now I'm all big game to go cyclone the fatal and with enthusiasm Billy Seashore assumed he had a better idea... whipped out his iPhone - can you see the underestimation of standing in this place and Billy's on his iPhone? And he sent a note on Shake that assumed, "Any person got a surgical cast saw I may possibly use?" and the get goes whacko and an hour cutting edge give to are 3 of them being Fed Exed to Yele Haiti people because they'll do anything they endure to to get aid to populace who need it.

Up to that time I dead for this hastily-planned steal, people - host of them rightfully unconvinced family members - demanded to request what I hoped to make it to with my realize. I continually replied, really, that I didn't request and wouldn't request until it happened... but that I had hope that we would find a way to batch strength. A week cutting edge, and enough of cry cutting edge, I am still not definite.

Yele would endure served the meals without me. School Medical center would endure gotten a cast saw, in due course. Somehow, code I did would endure engrossed undone. So CEO as calamity submit, not a good model. But, CEO as set eyes on - that is a peculiar story.

At the same time as my eyes endure seen, my life form has felt. And so this journey is just command.

The good that comes from this cruise fabrication more readily in what happens launch.

It fabrication in the without number mercy of Safety test Seashore - who worked his cell mobile to go up to Senator Bob Kerrey, the Congressional Pendant of Shield put to sleep from Nebraska, who free his leg in lawsuit in Vietnam, and who spent in addition than the behind schedule decade building a prosthetic "industry" in Vietnam, so his former enemies may possibly endure prosthetic care for their wounds. Billy used to work for Kerrey, and inspired by what he saw - 70% of Haiti is young people, and so 70% of the amputees float up a life long challenge of prosthesis - Billy influenced Kerrey to begin to set up a prosthetic get in Haiti. Lives will be saved and destinies untouched by this mercy.

We are lively with Yele, to see to it that that the channel from the DR to Haiti is open and lively, so aid can go not to a UN stockpile, but to the people who need it so frantically.

And, Yele and Timberland are long-term to work together, in addition faithfully than either imagined, to set up an operationally all right approach to allocation our brothers and sisters in Haiti. I'll be back in touch with in addition information as our address continues to start, and to batch with you the ways in which we're eager to moving our sight of get in touch with and justice to spasm for Haiti's club and survivors.

Thank you for carriage set eyes on to my experience by reading this far. I wish I may possibly initiation some of this out; I wish most of it hadn't happened. Thank you for classical words you've shared; I needed your strength and I still do. Utmost of all, thank you for building a community at Timberland whose ethics give me clout for such a cruise -- not in an indulge-the-crazy-CEO way, but in a "of watercourse you require go, why are you still standing here?" way.

No well-defined finale to unwind - because this journey is a minute ago begun. Country from hell, altered and peculiar, but unremitting in my view that the passageway to paradise fabrication true north by get in touch with and justice.

Yours in service,

Jeff


0 comments:

Post a Comment